Places to Visit/Things to Do
The Nebraska State Capitol is the government seat of Nebraska, located in Lincoln. Other than being the government building, it is more known for its amazing architecture. It features styles like art deco, gothic revival architecture, and byzantine revival architecture. The building itself features a 400-ft tower that is made of limestone. The Nebraska State Capitol was the first state capitol to have a functional tower. In the 1970’s, the capitol was registered as a National Historical Landmark. The building is open from 8 am to 5 pm on Mondays to Fridays. On the weekdays, free tours are available every hour starting at 9 am, with the last tour given at 4 pm. On Saturday and holidays, the building is open from 10 am to 5 pm, with tours are available at 10 am, 11 am, and 1 pm. On Sunday, the building opens at 1 and closes at 5 pm. Tours are available at 1, 2, 3, and 4 pm.
The Sunken Gardens is a popular, outdoor attraction in Lincoln, Nebraska. Constructed in 1931, the garden is among the best gardens to visit in the United States and Canada. The garden was originally constructed as a project for unemployed men during the time of the Great Depression. Today, it is among the favorite attractions of Lincoln. The garden’s display is comprised of over 30,000 plants, which “are redesigned to a different theme each year.” Also each year, the garden is host to programs and events, many of which offer visitors to plant annual flora. The garden is open every day of the week from 6 in the morning to 11 at night. There is no entrance costs, but donations are well-appreciated.
The University of Nebraska State Museum is the largest natural history museum in Nebraska. It features exhibits of fossils of elephants and other animals, hands-on paleontology exhibits, a weapons exhibit, American Indian exhibits, and more. The museum is also the host to certain events and programs given throughout the year. Many of these programs are for educational purposes. The purpose of the museum is to educate others about the history of Nebraska. The museum, which is located in Morrill Hall, is open daily. On Monday through Saturday (excluding Thursday), the hall is open from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. On Thursday, they open at 9:30 am and close at 8 pm; on Sundays, they are open from 12:30 to 4:30 pm. The museum costs $6 for adults (above 18), $3 for kids 5 to 18, and free for those under 5. Students and staff at UNL get in for free.
The Lincoln Children’s Museum is a 3-story interactive exhibit that is geared mainly for the kids, but enjoyable even for those older. It features hands-on exhibits, educational activities, and day camps. This is an amazing place to take kids for field trips. The children’s museum has had a huge impact on visitors, attracting over 3 million since 1990. Some of the popular exhibits are special exhibits designed for the age of the kids. For those under 3, they start in the Grow Zone. Here, clean and sanitized toys can be found. As they get older, they move onto a mock town, where you can find a bank, an apple orchard, and more. Here, they have a chance to be a doctor, a firefighter, and more. For older ages, there is even more to do. The museum is open from 9:30 am to 5 pm from Monday to Saturday. On Sunday, they are open from 1 to 5 pm. Admission for adults costs $9.95, $10.95 for kids, and free for those under 18 months. Members also get in for free.
Sheldon Museum of Art has been the premiere place for art in Lincoln for over 50 years. It has provided visitors, students, and faculty an enjoyable place to engage with the unique art and others. The collections of the museum features American art, primarily from the 19thand 20thcentury. Their exhibitions are also noteworthy, featuring several permanent collections. The Sheldon Museum of Art is open Monday through Wednesday from 10 am to 5 pm, Thursday and Friday from 10 am to 7 pm, Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm, and Sunday from noon to 5 pm. Unlike many other art museum in the United States, the Sheldon Museum of Art has free admission. That means you don’t have to pay a price to admire the beautiful art.
If you enjoy the outdoors, consider heading over to Trago Park. Trago Park is a grassy area meant for sports and recreation. It features a multitude of things to do like trails for biking and walking, a basketball court, a playground for the kids, and more. There is even a water playground for kids to enjoy. Trago Park is also a great place to enjoy picnics, with open shelters and restrooms. If you want to hit up this park, you will have to do it within their operating hours, as they’re not open 24 hours. They are open every day from 11 in the morning to 7 at night. Admission into the park is free, but certain amenities within may cost you money.
The Lincoln Children’s Zoo is a popular animal attraction in Lincoln, Nebraska. It is designed to offer kids interactive, intimate experiences with the animals. Although it is only 10 acres, it is the largest attended zoo per acre in the United States. It attracts over 200,000 visitors each year. The zoo houses over 400 animals. Some of these animals include crocodiles, macaws, bobcats, camels, monkeys, llamas, penguins, leopards, and many more. Throughout the year, special events, camps, and more are held at the zoo. To visit all these animals comes at a cost. Admission for adults costs $9.95, $8.95 for kids and seniors, and free for those under 2. The zoo is open year-round on all days of the week (including holidays), from 10 am to 5 pm.
Best Way to Tour Lincoln, NE
- The best way to tour the city of Lincoln (as well as many other cities) is by chartered buses and vans. Explore at your own pace within the safety of your private vehicle. Don’t worry about ordering an Uber or Lyft when you have your own exploration vehicle. Through Busneeds.com, you can order the buses you need. Busneeds.com is an amazing, affordable chartered vehicle company that caters to your every needs. Whether you need a bus for school trips, marriages, parties, campaigns, or whatever else, busneeds.com can help you. Busneeds.com offers buses, mini buses, school buses, party buses, and more. Most activities and destinations listed above and below are accessible by chartered buses. Visit www.busneeds.com to book your rental bus today!
Best Places to Eat/Shop
- Gateway Mall – If you’re looking for a large shopping mall, Gateway Mall is the place to go. It is the largest mall in Lincoln, featuring over 100 stores, dining options, and services. If you’re looking to do some serious shopping, Gateway is the place to head to.
- SouthPointe Pavilions –Another great place to shop is the SouthPointe Pavilions. This outdoor mall features a great variety of shops, restaurants, and services. They also have a movie theater, where you can enjoy your favorite movies. If you get hungry, you can either eat at SouthPointe or somewhere nearby.
- Nebraska Crossing Outlets – The Nebraska Crossing Outlets is a convenient shopping center. Although not as large as Gateway Mall or SouthPointe Pavilions, it is still a popular shopping destination, featuring brands like Ralph Lauren, Nike, GAP, Coach, Michael Kors, and more.
- Leadbelly – Leadbelly is one of the most popular restaurants in Lincoln. The local restaurant is rated the #1 local cuisine restaurant in Lincoln, Nebraska, by tripadvisor (in 2018). The American bar restaurant features the food that will have your stomach begging for more.
- Lazlo’s Brewery and Grill – Lazlo’s Brewery and Grill is another local favorite in Lincoln, Nebraska. It is rated the #2 local restaurant in Lincoln by tripadvisor (in 2018), after Leadbelly (read above). The American bar restaurant is both vegetarian and vegan friendly.
Enjoy your Vacation!